How the Program Works
Past participants must re-register for the 2023/2024 school year. Register your school to participate and receive the benefits of the program.
- Register on behalf of your school. Getting certified is fast, easy and free to any registered elementary, middle or high school in British Columbia.
- When prompted, select your school from the list, confirm your address, provide contact details, agree to terms and indicate how many bins you require, and you are done.
- Once registered, you have full access to the website and Teacher’s dashboard. You will be sent your recycling bins and your official certificate to display at your school.
- Contact your local Return-It depot. They will help you set up an account and even pick-up services (if available). https://www.return-it.ca/locations
- You also have the option of entering this year’s new contest by submitting your school’s recycling program story. See full contest details here.
Q: Who can register in the School Program?
All elementary, middle and high schools in British Columbia are eligible to register and participate in Encorp's Return-It School Recycling Program.
Q: How does a school register for the Program?
The 2023/2024 year's Program registration begins August 30th. To register, you just need to find your school, confirm details, provide contact information and agree to terms using our online Registration Form
Q: What do participants receive when they register for the School Program?
Your school will receive the following items free of charge:
- Up to three recycling bins (if requested)
- Option to enter our new Contest for 2023/2024.
- Access to the Teacher's Dashboard, which includes Tools & Tips and a tracking system to record your containers returned and deposit earned.
- Information about the authorized Return-It Depots nearest your school through the Return-It Locations webpage
Q: I've registered, now how do I enter bottle return data for my school?
- Find and click on the "Teacher's Login" button that can be found in the top menu and enter your username and password, which were supplied to you upon registering in the program.
- Once logged in, navigate to the "Teacher's Dashboard" and click the "Report Containers" button.
- Now, enter the data from your receipts into the appropriate boxes on the reporting form. Be sure to pick your depot from the drop down list. (This setting will be retained for next time, but it can be changed later.)
Q: Can we return alcohol containers?
Yes, you can collect and return alcohol containers. While we discourage the consumption of alcohol beverages by students, we certainly encourage the recycling of these empty containers.
Q: Do I have to enter the contest?
No, there is no requirement to enter the contest. But, you’re already doing such great work with recycling at your school, you might as well take some time to tell us your story for a chance to win.
Q: I’m a really small school and we don’t collect many containers. Do I still have a chance at winning the contest?
Yes, a school of any size has a chance to win our new contest. The winning stories will not be chosen solely on the number of containers collected. Winning stories will be judged by a set of criteria, including how creative, interesting and impactful your recycling program was.
Q: What can our school win?
If you enter the new story telling contest, your school could win a cash prize of $5,000 for 1st Prize, $2,500 for 2nd Prize. Prizes will be awarded for Elementary first and second place and High School first and second place.
Q: What about the delivery of the recycling bins?
Encorp will deliver the bins within four weeks of registering for the Program (depending on the number of orders placed).
Q: How do I assemble the recycling bins?
Here is a downloadable PDF file that outlines how to assemble the bottoms and tops of the recycling bins: Bin Lid Instruction Sheet
Q: How do Program participants arrange for container collection/pick-up?
It is up to the schools to contact and develop relationships with the depots in their area. A list of depot locations and services is available on our Web site at return-it.ca/locations.
Q: I need recycling bags. Can I get bags from a depot?
You can ask your local depot for bags. Most will be happy to assist you with your recycling program.
Q: Have you lost or forgotten your school username and password?
When you are at the web page that asks for your username and password (see above), click the link, "Forgot password?" A procedure will begin that will let you change your password. Simply follow the instructions provided at that time.